Tuesday 18 November 2008

Saying goodbye to an old friend

I wasn't in work yesterday, instead I was back up Derby for the funeral of my friend. My friend was only 29 when he died two weekends ago. I'm still so sad today and I just can't get it out of my head. The church was packed out, people were standing at the back. He was well loved and so many people were devastated to say goodbye. His coffin was carried out at the end of the service to N-Trance Set You Free, it was so emotional and I hope he has been set free from the troubles of life.

It makes you realise just how lucky you are, and how amazing your friends are. So many people who loved him all came together to remember him and comfort each other, I just wish he could have been there too. I will never forget seeing so many grown men cry, it just broke my heart. Broke my heart for him and everything he will never get to do, broke my heart for his family and broke my heart for all of his friends who have lost a little piece of themselves with him. He was a good lad with a kind heart and he didn't deserve to be taken so young.

We forget how precious life is. I only saw him three weeks ago when I last went home, and no one could ever have known it would have been the last time.

Life is not for wasting, but i think we all do waste our lives away from time to time, in situations we are not happy in, in jobs we dislike and in relationships that are no good for us. I am determined from now on to spend less time worrying about things that don't matter, and more time making sure I'm loving every minute of life and grabbing every opportunity and taking every chance by the hands.

RIP my friend xxxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really sorry to hear about your friend. It is always hard to deal with death when someone is taken unexpectedly and when they are young.

But it is always a good idea to take the chance to refocus on the important things in life. I think often we drift along and don't appreciate that we are alive at all.

And well done on passing your driving test. Great news!

Please Don't Eat With Your Mouth Open said...

I'm so sorry to hear that. Having gone through a similar thing in the last year, twice, with both my auntie and uncle dying suddenly when they were only young, I know exactly how you feel. There's something strange about seeing a crematorium packed full of young people - it feels so unnatural.

We do waste a lot of time complaining about the minor things.